Aviation News

Diwali boosts cargo volumes at Mumbai airport, Infra News, ET Infra

[ad_1]

<p><em>Representational image</em></p>
Representational image

MUMBAI: Diwali brought bumper cargo volumes to the Mumbai-Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) which handled 5600 metric tons of cargo. It was an increase of 2500 metric tons of goods when compared to last Diwali.

The top category of cargo was from the e-commerce sector, which recorded an 87% year-on-year increase in volumes. “A substantial 64% movement in outbound domestic cargo and a 36% movement in inbound domestic cargo has been noted, reflecting on the robust e-commerce sector,” said Mumbai International Airport Ltd (MIAL) adding that the surge reflects a shift in consumer behaviour, while underscoring the growing popularity of e-commerce. “Consumers are actively indulging in the increasing popularity of online shopping especially during festive occasions. With increased time, efficiency and convenience for festival shopping and gifting, this trend has directly contributed to the significant rise in cargo specifically within the e-commerce category at CSMIA,” MIAL said.

Another obvious category, given the festive season, was ‘gifts & samples’ which recorded a 36% year-on-year increase. “It was accompanied by a significant rise in the demand for perishable items such as flowers and sweets. This trend emphasizes on the growing significance of the gifting culture during the Diwali season across the nation,” said MIAL.

In terms of international and domestic cargo volumes, the overall surge distribution leaned slightly towards domestic shipments, accounting for 56% growth, while international cargo accounted for the remaining 44% growth. London emerged as the top international destination to receive maximum cargo shipments originating from CSMIA.

While domestically, Delhi emerged as the top destination, followed by other prominent destinations such as Hyderabad, and Bengaluru. “Notably, Delhi, Bengaluru, and Ahmedabad have been consistently witnessing a substantial year-on-year surge in cargo shipments during the Diwali season, from CSMIA,” said MIAL.

“To ensure the smooth and timely processing of cargo operations during the Diwali season, CSMIA implemented strategic measures. For instance, recognizing the time-sensitive nature of e-commerce consignments, operations planning was meticulously coordinated with agents and airlines. This involved optimizing existing infrastructure, strategically utilizing non-peak hours, with additional resources as needed,” said MIAL.

  • Published On Nov 19, 2023 at 07:07 PM IST

Join the community of 2M+ industry professionals

Subscribe to our newsletter to get latest insights & analysis.

Get updates on your preferred social platform

Follow us for the latest news, insider access to events and more.

[ad_2]

Source link